Many projects now ask you to scan barcodes on the shelves or on products. This article explains how to use the app's scanner and gives some troubleshooting tips.
Prefer video? Click here to what the how-to video.
How to Use the Barcode Scanner
When you get to the part of the project that asks you to scan barcodes, tap SCAN BARCODES to activate the scanner.
Next, move the your phone so that the red line goes over a barcode.
Your phone will vibrate each time it scans a bar code. If it doesn't vibrate, then it didn't scan. (See Troubleshooting for more info). There is also an on-screen count of your scans.
Important Things to Know
- You can scan the products in any order.
- If you accidentally scan the item twice, our system filters out duplicates.
- If you accidentally scan a product that you shouldn't have (a nearby one, for example), just let us know in the comments. You DON'T have to clear the list.
Reasons Why Barcodes Don't Scan
Most barcodes will scan, but if they don't a few common reasons are:
- The barcodes are damaged
- The barcodes are partially obstructed
- Poor lighting in the store
- The barcode's format is not recognized by our app
Have an Android device? Click here for specific instructions:
If the scanner isn't working:
- Make sure that you have the latest version of the app. Go to the app store and check if there are updates available.
- NEVER delete the app and then re-download it. This will delete your work.
- Reach out to the Live In-Store Support through the Messages feature in the app.
- Reach out to your other Survey.com contact(s).
- Straighten out the package if needed.
- Use your hand to block the overhead light if it's causing reflections on the barcode.
If none of the above helps, or if we can't resolve the problem for you, then complete the rest of the project and explain what happened in the comments section of the project. If you can, include some close up photos of non-scanning barcodes in your upload to help us diagnose the problem. Our tech team will reach out to help you.